The weird moment I fell out with someone when they told me they’d found God (and other arguments I’d lost)

I’d actually already written a short statement explaining my reasons for publishing the following in its entirety, in which I discuss my thoughts on religion and how I wasn’t attempting to ridicule or humiliate anyone for their belief or religion in general, only that when people discuss their faith its normally a self-contain, sacrosanct argument that deflects any analysis. I had also talked abit about how this conversation seemed a little ironic, since ‘pride’ is actually one of the seven deadly sins, even though I don’t believe in it.
I’d also talked about a conversation I’d had a Muslim colleague and how he’d invoked Descartes’s theory of perfection and the metaphysical to justify the existence of God, (which I’d felt was flawed, and no one had ever before tried to convince me that the cell structure of sperm and airplanes were holy!), and my difficulties of explaining an agnostic approach to someone who was devoutly religious.
Unfortunately, I’d failed to save this discussion and it was lost it forever. Divine intervention, or a mistake keeping so many windows open on the same browser? Obviously, those with religious views will choose the former and then stick their fingers in their ears, close their eyes and shake their head singing ‘I CAN’T HEAR YOU, I CAAA-AN’T HEAR YOU! L-LA L-LA LA LA’, if I tried to persuade them otherwise.
Bottom line is I’m not trying to be offensive, and had apologised if I had caused offense, but religious people are the most easily offended people on the planet, and therefore I invoke the principles of free speech, common sense and skepticism above all. I don’t have an issue with religion (much), my reaction to the incident was more to do with that I’d met this person whilst volunteering for a charity before randomly bumping into them again years later when we were employed with different charities in Vauxhall.

Her suggestion that I should go to church seemed like a genuinely bizarre thing to say to someone you haven’t seen for a few years, and sounded like the sort of thing you would say to someone if you wanted to freak them out, ‘I’m a lesbian/Scientologist/Muslim/vegan/transgender now’, not that there’s anything wrong with being a Muslim/vegan/transgender/lesbian. It just seems like an unusual thing to tell someone who you’ve lost touch, and not necessarily the first thing I would say to someone (if it was me personally), although minority groups do tend to want to make people aware in order to avoid confusion.

K
Hey, hope you’re well. It was weird bumping into you and I hope things go well with Rethink. Congrats with the baby, very cool. I have been really busy with work and looking for work the last few years and have not been good or had the time to keep in touch in people. Good luck with everything, I’m sure it’ll work out. Take care.

12/05/2014 13:41
K
And I meant to add, what made the difference was getting closer to God and allowing Him to change my life. Have you considered going to church?
Saturday
JesusSmiling

31/05/2014 21:25
Edward
you always struck me as quite talented so I’m sure things are going well for you, work can be hard, I feel like I’m going round in circles but I’m definitely going to start writing comics about this tribunal thing. No offense, I’m surprised you’ve become religious, I guess I’m always been agnostic and tended to put my faith in enlightenment and idealistic values like Carl Jung and John Stuart Mills rather than god. This book I’m reading is kindof about religious values and past histories, the hero doesn’t believe in god but he brother is mentally ill and obsessed with saving the world from sin. It’s long but enjoyable. Some of the issues I can sortof relate too. I’m not sure if you’re serious about finding god and everything, maybe I freaked you out. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Know_This_Much_Is_True

I Know This Much Is True – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org
The novel takes place in Three Rivers, Connecticut. Dominick Birdsey’s identical twin, Thomas, suffers from paranoid schizophrenia. With medication, he can function properly and work at a coffee stand, but occasionally he has severe episodes of his illness. Thinking he is making a sacrificial protes…
Sunday

01/06/2014 21:24
Edward
I don’t think I believe you found god, you never struck me as gullible, I hope you don’t think i am either. Hubert Selby jr said, we should let life destroy our dreams since we have no choice. I think either way, if you wanted to read any of my stuff you would be welcome to, if not no problem

13:52
K
I don’t know what to make of your message and to be honest, I’m quite shocked by the rudeness of your response. Yes, I do believe I found God and no, I’m not gullible or believe you to be either. I pray that one day you will reach out to God too. All the best.

18:16
Edward
I’m sorry, I guess i’m a skeptic and didn’t mean to come across ignorant or disrespectful. If there’s one thing people get offended about it’s religion or politics. Religion isn’t something I hear people talk about that often, I didn’t mean to insult you, I just thought you were someone who wasn’t really interested in traditional values like faith, but if you are I think it’s great you have that. I’m more of a skeptic and, I just assume sometimes people think the same way, which people are obviously free not to. all the best

I Know This Much Is True – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org

3 June 2014

03/06/2014 18:57

Edward

hey, sorry again if I came across arrogant, I just meant when I met you before you seemed quite interested in media and theatre, and just assumed you would be more interested in less religion, only because alot of great writers and artists like beckett or pinter tend to be atheists, and more focused on politics or philosophy. I didn’t mean to sound insulting, it’s just when someone you don’t know that well or haven’t spoken to in a while writes in a message they found god – it can be a surprise especially for someone cynical like me.

At the publisher i worked for, I met afew muslims who’d studied science/computing before, it’s interesting listening to them justify existence and god’s will through this technology. I mean I’ve contemplated god and the meaning of existence, I’m not a complete philostine, I just think as species there’s too much we don’t know or can’t prove about the universe, so people just seem to guess. which is fine, and remains the basis of philosophy in europe and asia from thousands of years ago up to the present. I’d happy to know what it was that led you to convert, if it’s not too personal, and I wouldn’t judge you or critise you for your beliefs. but it’s no problem, facebook’s an annoying way to communicate with people anyhow

On 05/07/15 10:28pm, edward wrote:
——————–
Hi, I hope you’re well. I sent you an email awhile ago about an MQreport, as I was trying to raise awareness for their charity, but it was nothing really important. I’d thought I’d send you a synopsis for a feature script I’d been writing for the past six months, semi-biographical, I don’t know if you still make films or lecture in them. Any feedback would be really useful, or if you happened to know Jonathan Glazer or Lynne Ramsay, that would also be pretty cool. all the best.
Re: Galapagos

K

May 8, 2015, 7:08 AM

Thanks for thinking of me, but I’m not interested.

Sent from LinkedIn for iPhone

Ouch! This was a first for me, normally I only hear that line AFTER I’d told that person that I liked them, and if they’d like to go for drink – charming small talk was never one of my greatest strengths.

Jesus escucha
tumblr_l5jn8jAEe11qzbyqeo1_500
Besides this blasphemous moment of criticism, another strange incident worth mentioning occurred during this surreal two month period of working part time for a charity.
I’d met a young woman who’d worked for the same charity, and whose first day at work had been the same day as when a helicopter crashed into the Vauxhall tower near the tube station where we’d worked.
 _65317459_vauxhall_helicopter_crash_976_2